FRESH TALK: Righting the Balance
Can there be gender parity in the arts?
Join us for the launch of Women, Arts, and Social Change, NMWA’s new initiative on women and the arts as catalysts for change.
Righting the Balance is a conversation that considers the inequality that persists for women artists and questions what can be done about it. From social media blasts to celebrity activists, such as Beyoncé, Patricia Arquette, and Emma Watson, the issue of gender equality is gaining unprecedented visibility. How can the arts engage these next-generation voices in the conversation?
ABOUT THE CONVERSATION:
- Introduction by Maura Reilly—author, curator, critic, and event co-organizer
- The Issue: Jillian Steinhauer, senior editor of Hyperallergic, and Sarah Douglas, editor-in-chief of ARTnews
- The Market: Mary Sabbatino, vice president/partner of Galerie LeLong, NY, and Gabriela Palmieri, senior vice president, senior specialist of contemporary art at Sotheby’s
- The Artist’s Voice: Artists Ghada Amer, Micol Hebron, Simone Leigh, and Guerrilla Girl Alma Thomas
- Conversation in Context: Jamia Wilson, executive director of Women, Action, & the Media, former YTH (Youth Tech Heath) executive director, TED Prize Storyteller, and former vice president of programs at The Women’s Media Center
Sold out. Programs will be streamed live and recorded for online access shortly after each presentation.