Member Day: Super Natural and Organic Matters
Join us for a special Member Day as NMWA explores the relationships between women, nature, and art.
Free admission for members (with a current membership card) and one guest. Artists featured in Organic Matters and curators of Super Natural will lead gallery talks throughout the day. Members receive 10% discount in the Museum Shop and the Mezzanine Café. Light refreshments will be served.
• 10:30 a.m.: Super Natural curatorial talk
• 11:00 a.m.: Organic Matters talk with artists Jennifer Celio, Dawn Holder, Goldschmied & Chiari
• 11:30 a.m.: Super Natural curatorial talk
• 12:00 p.m.: Organic Matters talk with artists Polly Morgan, Rebecca Hutchinson, Rachel Sussman
• 1:00 p.m.: Super Natural curatorial talk
• 1:30 p.m.: Organic Matters talk with artists Jiha Moon, Mimi Kato
• 2:00 p.m.: Super Natural curatorial talk
• 2:30 p.m.: Organic Matters talk with Lara Shipley, Ysabel LeMay, Mary Tsiongas
ABOUT THE EXHIBITIONS:
Depictions of nature can illuminate themes of sexuality, gender politics, the abject, and the sublime. In Organic Matters, contemporary artists use imagery and materials taken from the natural world.
Rather than merely document beauty, artists in Super Natural engage with nature as a space for exploration and invention. The exhibition juxtaposes historical works with photographs, books, and videos by contemporary artists who share their artistic foremothers’ uninhibited view of flora and fauna.