Member Preview Day: Heavy Metal—Women to Watch 2018
Join us for a special Member Preview Day for the new exhibition Heavy Metal—Women to Watch 2018!
The fifth installment of NMWA’s Women to Watch exhibition series showcases contemporary artists working in metal. Artists featured in Heavy Metal enthusiastically investigate the physical properties and expressive possibilities of metalwork through a wide variety of objects, including sculpture, jewelry, and conceptual forms. The exhibition also engages with the fluidity between “fine” art, design, and craft categories, whose traditional definitions are rooted in gender discrimination.
Women to Watch is presented every three years and is a dynamic collaboration between the museum and its national and international outreach committees.
Heavy Metal tours, featuring artists from the exhibition, will be held from 9 a.m.–12 p.m. Tour schedule below. The special exhibition will be open until 2 p.m.
Each tour will begin with a two minute introduction by a museum curator or educator. Each artist will speak about their work for five minutes. Tours are subject to change.
- Rana Begum, United Kingdom
- Cheryl Eve Acosta, Greater Kansas City Area
- Alice Hope, Greater New York Region
- Paula Castillo, New Mexico
- Petronella Eriksson, Sweden
- Susie Ganch, Mid-Atlantic Region
- Beverly Penn, Texas
- Katherine Vetne, Northern California
- Venetia Dale, Massachusetts
- Carolina Rieckhoff Brommer, Peru
- Carolina Sardi, Florida
- Serena Porrati, Italy
- Leila Khoury, Ohio
- Holly Laws, Arkansas
- Charlotte Charbonnel, France
- Kelsey Wishik, Mississippi
- Kerianne Quick, Southern California