Reading Club: Desires and Dreams
A Picture Plus a Thousand Words: Aligning Art with Stories
Connect exhibition artwork with literature.
In Arabic, the word rawiya means “she who tells a story.” Participants will examine selected photographs from She Who Tells A Story, read a short story, and explore a non-fiction article that grounds the creative works in lived realities.
Events will feature artwork introductions by NMWA educators and facilitated discussions.
Photo: Stephanie, Beirut, Lebanon and Alia, Beirut, Lebanon, by Rania Matar
Story: “Half A Woman,” by Sufi Abdallah and “The Cat,” by Layla Ba’labakki
Article: “Out of Sight: A Former Prostitute Tries to Rescue Iraq’s Most Vulnerable Women,” by Rania Abouzeid
Free. Reservations required.
- Sunday, May 01: Sex and Silence
- Monday, May 23: Politicized Bodies
- Sunday, June 05: On War and Women
- Tuesday, June 14: Life in Conflict
- Sunday, July 03: On Motherhood
- Tuesday, July 26: Desires and Dreams
This program is presented in conjunction with The Alignist.