Reading Club: Sex and Silence
A Picture Plus a Thousand Words: Aligning Art with Stories
Connect exhibition artwork with literature.
In Arabic, the word rawiya means “she who tells a story.” Participants will examine a selected photograph from She Who Tells A Story, read a short story, and explore a non-fiction article that grounds the creative works in lived realities.
Events will feature artwork introductions by NMWA educators and facilitated discussions. After registering, participants will receive an email containing the program materials.
Photo: Speechless, by Shirin Neshat
Story: “Distant View Of A Minaret,” by Alifa Rifaat
Article: “Why Do They Hate Us?” by Mona Eltahawy
Free. Reservations required.
- Sunday, May 01: Sex and Silence
- Monday, May 23: Politicized Bodies
- Sunday, June 05: On War and Women
- Tuesday, June 14: Life in Conflict
- Sunday July 03: On Motherhood
- Tuesday, July 26: Desires and Dreams
This program is presented in conjunction with The Alignist.