What We Do
- Monitor the collection and special exhibition galleries.
- Ensure the safety of museum visitors, staff, assets, and equipment.
- Direct and inform visitors by interacting frequently with them and providing accurate information.
- Provide superior customer service to visitors.
- Ensure the enforcement of museum rules with visitors and staff.
- Make verbal and written reports to the Security department.
- Protect the museum from all types of threats such as theft, vandalism, fire, or any other type of danger.
- Facilitate emergency evacuation procedures, taking appropriate emergency action when necessary.
- Provide security for dignitaries, celebrities, and other VIPs during special events.
The museum gallery guard position is a customer-service position requiring reliability and strong interpersonal skills. Physical requirements include sitting, standing, and walking for long periods of time. Candidates must possess basic computer user skills.
- Full- and part-time hours (up to 40 hours per week)
- Daytime hours (9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.) with flexible scheduling
- Uniforms and training on cultural property protection provided
- Earned leave benefits program
Join Our Team
The hourly rate for the Security Officer position is $18 with the ability to earn a higher hourly rate by qualifying for the Special Events Security team. Full-time rate includes a benefit package. If interested in applying, please email DBeaver@nmwa.org to receive an electronic job application.
The National Museum of Women in the Arts is an equal opportunity employer. To request accommodations in the application or hiring process, please notify NMWA’s Human Resources department at HR@nmwa.org. To comply with tax and legal obligations all candidates must reside in Maryland, DC, or Virginia. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. without visa sponsorship by NMWA.