Women’s History Month
Celebrate Women’s History Month with us!
The museum’s mission year-round is to address gender imbalance in the art world, but every March—Women’s History Month—NMWA has an opportunity to catch the attention of a wider audience to celebrate women artists. Find out what’s happening this year!
What’s on for Women’s History Month 2017
- Last March, the museum issued a simple challenge by asking, “Can you name #5WomenArtists?” The challenge struck a chord, and tens of thousands posts were shared on social media.
- Starting March 1, take the challenge and follow/post about #5womenartists on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, and tag us @womeninthearts.
- If you are part of a cultural organization planning to participate, sign up to join more than 190 museums and counting!
EVENTS AT THE MUSEUM:
- #5WomenArtists Scavenger Hunt, daily in March. Players will explore NMWA’s collection and snap photos to share on social media.
- #EmptyNMWA Instameet: Join us for an Instameet on March 10. Stay tuned for details.
- Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 2017, March 11, 10 a.m.–2 p.m. Help us improve Wikipedia articles about women artists and encourage more women to become editors.
- FRESH TALK: Ann Hamilton and Emily Pilloton, March 29, 7–9:30 p.m. Artist Ann Hamilton and designer Emily Pilloton discuss the impact of making on learning and inspiring future innovators.
OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA EVENTS:
- #ArtMadness: NMWA anchors four slots of the “bracket” in the Albright-Knox Gallery’s NCAA March Madness-themed social media competition. This year features exclusively female artists. Starts March 14.
- Social Media Takeovers: On March 1st, NMWA takes over @BalboaPark’s Instagram account to share artworks about nature. Also on March 1st, NMWA will take over Brightest Young Things’ Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts to share the museum’s mission. Later, from March 13–17, NMWA will hold the @52museums account. Follow along!