Women’s History Month
Celebrate Women’s History Month with us!
The museum’s mission year-round is to address gender imbalance in the art world, but every March—Women’s History Month—NMWA has an opportunity to catch the attention of a wider audience to celebrate women artists. Stay tuned for Women’s History Month 2018!
Highlights from Women’s History Month 2017
The second year of NMWA’s popular social media campaign #5WomenArtists was a great success—the American Alliance of Museums gave it a Gold award in Digital Communities at the annual Media & Technology MUSE Awards! Thanks to all those who took the challenge. Some highlights:
11,000 individuals and 520 organizations from 30 countries and all seven continents participated!
Nearly 500 people took the Buzzfeed quiz, “Which of these 5 Women Artists are You? (Part Two)”
Participants used this #5WomenArtists set of shareable infographics about women in the arts. Download a set via the link.
We also hit the streets to ask, “Can you name five women artists?” Watch the results!
- Hosted a daily #5WomenArtists Scavenger Hunt in the museum.
- Anchored four slots of the all-women “bracket” in #ArtMadness, the Albright-Knox Gallery’s NCAA March Madness-themed competition.
- Forty-four participants edited 83 Wikipedia articles about women artists in the annual Art + Feminism Wikipedia Edit-a-thon.
- Shared nature-themed works from @BalboaPark’s Instagram account.
- Took over Brightest Young Things’ Twitter and Instagram accounts.
- Staff shared their favorite works for #InternationalWomensDay.
- #EmptyNMWA InstaMeet participants captured the newly reinstalled collection.
- Held the @52museums handle.