It started with a seemingly simple question: Can you name five women artists?
Since 2016, the National Museum of Women in the Arts (NMWA) has been asking this question on social media each March during Women’s History Month using the hashtag #5WomenArtists. The campaign calls attention to the fact that women have not been treated equally in the art world, and today they remain dramatically underrepresented and undervalued in museums, galleries, and auction houses.
Throughout the campaign, more than 1,000 cultural institutions from seven continents and 47 countries, plus over 10,000 individuals have participated online by sharing the stories of women artists!
#5WomenArtists 2019: From Awareness to Action
Back for a fourth year, this year’s campaign is aiming to move from awareness to action. How can you take part?
- Take the challenge by posting about #5WomenArtists on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook and tag us @WomenInTheArts.
- Take a pledge to help us promote gender equity in the arts! We’re asking organizations and individuals to publicly commit to actions that will help advance gender equity in the arts.
TATE x NMWA Collaboration:
Additionally, this year NMWA has teamed up with the Tate to expand the reach of #5WomenArtists as part of Tate’s ongoing commitment to increase the representation of women across the arts sector and within its galleries. In addition to hosting dedicated events during March and sharing the campaign across its digital channels, Tate staff members will meet colleagues at NMWA to collaborate on leveraging digital engagement for social change.
Take a Pledge
Museums and cultural organizations can pledge to:
- Increase the ratio of artworks by women on display in their next collection rotation
- Acquire a new work by a woman artist for their collection in the next year
- Achieve gender equity in their exhibition schedule in the next five years
Individuals can pledge to:
- Speak up when they see exhibitions that have few or no women artists
- Thank museums and art spaces that commit to gender equity in their collections and exhibitions
- Buy work by women artists
Join #5WomenArtists in 2019
Help us amplify #5WomenArtists!
- Not sure what to post? Check out our shareable content and videos
- See our suggested pledges or come up with your own
- Stay in the loop with campaign updates
- Find out where you can celebrate Women’s History Month around the world
- Shop #5WomenArtists products that support the museum’s mission
Interested in participating in the campaign during Women’s History Month? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.