Advanced Teacher Institute
The next Advanced Teacher Institute will take place July 22–26, 2019.
During this weeklong advanced practicum, alumni of NMWA’s ABC Teacher Institute apply their knowledge of the Art, Books, and Creativity (ABC) curriculum and expand upon it.
- Work with book artist Carol Barton, NMWA educators, and curriculum specialists in visual arts, science, and language arts.
- Expand their toolkit of book formats, writing samples, and ABC curriculum integration ideas.
- Explore the parallels between studio habits of mind and STEM innovation thinking.
- Experiment with inquiry methods designed to encourage creative and critical thinking among their students.
- Develop a new interdisciplinary unit for their specific classroom needs from concept to final design.
This low-cost program ($30 materials fee collected upon registration) takes place for one week, Monday, July 22 through Friday, July 26, 2019, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day.
Optional: Participants can register to earn three graduate credits through Trinity Washington University in Washington, D.C. Trinity tuition fee: $375.
Upon acceptance into the Advanced Teacher Institute, educators will receive information about registering through Trinity Washington University for graduate credits.
The application deadline has passed. If you wish to be informed about future teacher professional development offerings, complete the teacher email list form.
- ABC Teacher Institute
- Application Deadline: Monday, May 6, 2019
- Acceptance Notification: Monday, May 20, 2019
The ABC curriculum and professional development content presented online and in the Summer Teacher Institute were developed by NMWA and its partners between 2003 and 2010 with two grants from the U.S. Department of Education.
The 2017 ABC Advanced Teacher Institute was supported by the Leo Rosner Foundation and Wells Fargo.